Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day One Hundred and Seventy-Three


Things are slowing down a bit in schooling as I'm focusing on some areas we need to spend more time on and getting back to the basics for a while. Dominic is working hard on reading and math skills. Aidan is ever-eager to do anything, but we're really focusing on math and dictation lately.

When we're not around the table working, we're taking in the springtime weather and enjoying our time outside as much as we can. The boys have been helping me plant veggies in the garden and pull weeds...an endless battle those weeds are.

What I love about homeschooling is that this can be part of our schooling. We talk as we garden. We learn as we dig into the soil and hear birdsong. Lots of learning is going on and it's a joy to know that it doesn't have to be a planned lesson or involve paper. Spontaneous learning can be so freeing as a homeschooling mom.

It's sometimes hard to explain the moments like these, but there's no place I'd rather be.

Sure, there are the fights and the arguments over whose stick is bigger or who gets to use the red shovel, but when it's all said and done, I'm just glad that I'm the one who's teaching them about the earth. From earth science to sharing my love of chickadees, there's a lot to be learned outside the schoolroom walls.

1 comment: