Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day One Hundred and Seventy


Wow. It's been more than a day since I last posted a photo.

The reason for my absence from blogging is...well...it's lots of reasons, actually. There was Easter, a trip to Bend, two weeks of coughs and colds, plantar fasciitis woes, numerous dark and gloomy days, and overall a sense of just not wanting to take pictures or put them on the internet. But, here I am...back at it.

I want to finish this project or it will be among my ever-growing list of projects that I've started. I'm getting my second wind. It won't be completed in three hundred and sixty-five consecutive days, but there will be 365 days of our lives shared for whomever wants a peek into life here and what schooling three young boys looks like for us.

I'll start with this day...today. I've been in a funk lately. There are many days lately that I've thought to myself, "Is what I'm doing really what's best for my children?" Most of the time I come back around and am reminded of how much I truly do love this calling. I get to spend all day with my kids. This is the key: I GET to spend all day with my kids, rather than I HAVE to. Yes, it's hard some days, but I truly believe in what we're doing here. I love the fact that I have the freedom to teach my children at home. I love being such a huge part of their lives.

Dominic said to me this morning, "Mama, this is a really good day." I proceeded to ask him why, rather than just agreeing with him. He replied, "I get to be with you and I like it when we sit on the couch and you read to us." He followed that with his classic Dominic smile, which shows no teeth (just like mine when I was a young child). I smiled. Yeah, me too.

We share a lot. The photo above is a pretty common scene. It captures what I love about homeschooling. One small table, three boys who are each unique, and one mom here to capture the moments and treasure them in her heart.

I learn just as much as I teach here.

3 comments:

  1. Dominic is missing BOTH front teeth? Nora hasn't lost a single one yet. Her teeth look so small in her mouth! Soon, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope...that's Aidan. Dom is, however, dying to lose a tooth or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dom just doesn't show his teeth when he smiles: )
    another great post, Janine. I love reading the thoughts you share.

    ReplyDelete