Monday, October 18, 2010

Day Thirty-One



When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one teacher to dissolve the educational bands which have connected her to the school system and to assume among the powers of education, the unique situation to which the laws of education and a mother's intuition entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that she should declare the causes which impel her to separation. **

My declaration: Dominic would certainly be put into the category of an "active learner" and he needs this mom to teach him the ABC's without him having to sit in one spot for longer than two minutes.

I saw the four-square playing area and realized that it would be a great way to get him to learn the sounds of the first four letters of the alphabet. Flashcards are good. Jumping from square to square is even better.

I'm not only teaching Dominic, I'm learning him. He is unique in all the world, just like every one of us. And I'm glad that he's one of my students and one of my children....hard times included.

** A little re-writing of The Declaration of Independence (I hope that's not against the law).

1 comment:

  1. Janine, I love your creative, student-centered approach. Kudos! So does this blog replace the family one? Miss you all, feels like we haven't seen you in a while. Maybe we can make a plan for something soon...

    ReplyDelete