Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day Twenty-One


One of Aidan's favorite things in Math is when I set up a store so he can purchase things. I mark all the items with tags. He gets to pay for them. He also gets a lot of practice in adding and subtracting within 100.

A few examples:

Choose two things that add up to less than one dollar. How much do you owe me? How much do I have to give back to you in change?

Purchase two things that add up to $.90.

He keeps a paper beside him and tallies up his items, adding and subtracting from 100. It was encouraging to me that he's actually doing a lot of it in his head now. Cheers to math!

2 comments:

  1. what a cool idea!!!! just another reason why I love homeschooling. Brooklyn is really just learning all her numbers, and very easy math. Can't wait to do that with her in the future!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Janine! What a fun way to learn!

    We bought the Bible stories book you suggested and love it! I also went ahead and ordered the number and letter tiles. Jude and Selah are picking up more and more of their phonics. Jude proudly read "up" the other night. :) Pretty cute! He instantly wanted to learn how to read "down" after that. haha. I thought that was funny.

    Thanks for all of your great ideas/resources! Josh and I are thoroughly enjoying this process of exploration.

    ReplyDelete