Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day Fifty-Nine


Today was a day for me. No school, a few hours away from being a mom, a time to do something else that I love...a time to run a race!

I ran the EWEB Run to Stay Warm 1/2 Marathon in Eugene. It was a brisk morning, temperatures in the low 40's, and perfect weather for a nice long run. Just the night before, the projected forecast for the race time was 80% chance of rain and windy. Ugh. So, I was pleasantly surprised to see the sun peek out and the clouds to clear. A big group from Corvallis piled into my friend Gerhard's van and we made the trip to Eugene together, which is always a fun way to travel.

Some people say that I'm amazing for getting up at 4:30 during the week to run. Others say I'm crazy. But, here's the thing: it brings me a sense of satisfaction and joy. I love to do it. And when you love to do something, it isn't hard to make yourself get up at 4:30 in the morning (okay...some mornings it is). I know that running is a gift. It's a gift from God and I'm thankful that He has blessed me with a healthy body. And yet, I know that it can all be gone in an instant. So, I give thanks.

I'm thankful for my running buddies, those men and women that challenge me, support me, and run many a mile by my side.

I'm thankful for my husband who watches the boys so that I can get out and do something that I love. And not only that, a husband who drives miles to cheer for me.

I'm thankful that in running, I can see metaphors for my walk with Christ.

The picture above was taken after the race, as we all got together to recap how things went. High-fives were given, funny things shared, bagels eaten, and then we parted ways.

From left to right in the picture are me, Gerhard (with the bagel), Big Mike (with the little coffee cup), and Pat (who appears to be flipping you off, but is really just holding his gloves). I didn't get all the Corvallis runners in the picture. Maybe next time!

Oh...and I broke my previous PR and set a new one: 1:29:11.

:)

1 comment: